I don’t make New Year’s resolutions anymore. What’s the point? You try to do something at the beginning of the year that is going to improve your situation, but you “fall off the wagon” within a few days or weeks. I am hereby announcing that I am not going to try a juice cleanse in 2022. Nor shall I try intermittent fasting, CoolSculpting®, or a Keto diet. But I have committed to eating better and staying more active this year. I’ll let you know how it works out. #NewYearOldDave
The same is true for your 2022 marketing resolutions. Stay away from the fads but understand the trends. Although making a New Year’s resolution for your company may sound corny, having a few 2022 marketing goals is a good way to fix some of the things that went wrong in 2021 and focus on positive changes in the New Year.
Here are ten New Year’s marketing resolutions that the Madison+Main-iacs came up with recently for our clients. I am sharing them here with you — free of charge.
1. Take a good long look at last year’s data. Look at Google Analytics, Yelp, Facebook, and any other online platform that you advertised on. Where did your visitors come from? Did they stay around or bounce out? Your 2022 plan will be better if you take a good hard look at the 2021 numbers.
2. Focus on your company website’s user experience (UX). UX, pronounced “ju eks,” is important because it focuses on what the website visitor wants and needs. Providing positive experiences keeps visitors to your website loyal to your products and services. Additionally, a well-designed UX allows you to direct a customer where you want them to be on your website.
3. Improve your collateral designs and printed materials. Think “New Year, new brochure.” If you’re using an old logo, the old store hours, or outdated COVID-related restrictions on your printed pieces, it’s time for a refresh.
4. Stay up to date on the latest marketing news. Subscribing to the Weekly Report is always a good idea, but we’d also suggest checking out ClickZ, AdWeek, and the HubSpot blog.
5. Try a new digital marketing tactic! Although you may think that TikTok is just a fad for teens, the app will turn six this year and has three billion downloads. There are many new digital marketing tactics available you should take a look at, including LinkedIn InMail, app advertising, and Nextdoor marketing for local businesses.
6. It pays to use paid media. If you’re solely relying on organic social media, you’re going to need to pony up some cash in 2022. Paid media marketing such as pay-per-click advertising, branded content, and responsive and display ads are more cost-effective than ever.
7. Expand your social media presence. Yes, Facebook is a great start but you need to do more. Take steps to plan your content and get bold. You’ve been thinking about adding social sites like Instagram and YouTube to your plan and this is the year to do it.
8. Prepare a marketing contingency plan and crisis communication plan. Just look at the last two years…enough said.
9. Content, content, content. Rewrite your web copy to make it better and more SEO-focused. And create more content on your social media sites. Being “Google-able” matters.
10. Call us with questions. We want you to succeed, whether you’re a friend, client, or stranger. Seriously, we’re always happy to help you with some advice.